STEM at Mesty Croft Academy
At Mesty Croft Academy we believe:
- STEM activities will allow our children to explore, investigate, design, build, experiment and question the world around them – and beyond!
- STEM links into our core values – inspirational, inclusive and collaborative. We will give our children many cross-curricular opportunities to learn.
- STEM lessons will be child-led, fun, practical, exciting and thought-provoking with links to real-life problem-solving.
- STEM learning is a time for children to explore their curiosity. It is child-led which means that children undertake practical experiments to investigate questions they pose. They predict and then explore questions on a number of topics. In addition, they build skills around scientific enquiry and problem solving and learning about life processes and living things, materials and their properties and physical processes.
- Children are confident in doing STEM subjects by demonstrating a willingness to modify ideas and take risks. They seek to collaborate and work co-operatively with their peers.
- Children are able to use maths skills to help solve problems such as:
- measurement of time, mass, volume and length.
- number to understand their data such as tallying, ordering greatest to lowest.
- statistics to create graphs to present data (where appropriate) linked to year group objectives.
- reasoning to understand their findings and present their results.
- Children will use technology such as coding and the latest applications and software to solve problems.
- Children will design, create and build solutions to problems – choosing and using various equipment and tools.