Whole School Curriculum Overview
Teaching and Learning at Mesty Croft Academy
Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.
Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow.
Anthony J. D’Angelo
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
At Mesty Croft Academy, we believe that we have the privilege and responsibility to give children the very best start to their learning journey and help them to develop strategies and methods which they will use throughout their lives. Children are born full of questions and wonder; they have innate enthusiasm and a thirst for answers which we strive to nurture. We believe that children are equal partners in learning and we work with children to help them reach their potential; we work alongside children to ensure they develop strong foundations in education and secure self-confidence that will help them to succeed long after they leave us.
Our values underpin everything we do in school - at Mesty Croft:
- We NURTURE children to ensure they are confident and independent. We work hard to raise children’s self-esteem and help children to be reflective, resilient and self-motivated.
- We develop CREATIVE lessons and topics which engage children. Our lessons are exciting and appeal to children’s sense of wonder and imagination.
- We endeavour to INSPIRE children; we ensure there are opportunities for children to aim high and achieve.
- We EMPOWER children by unlocking their potential and giving them the tools they need in order to succeed.
- We STRIVE for continued success and improvement and we celebrate what we have achieved.
- We INCLUDE everyone by involving all children in our open and friendly school where teamwork and collaboration are vital to success.
The Mesty Croft Curriculum.
We have written our own curriculum to ensure that we can achieve our goals. The curriculum is rich with opportunities for children to learn and develop. We believe in a cross-curricular, topic based approach to education where children are able to make links between the different subjects. This means that children can apply their skills in a broad range of different contexts. We also believe in the ‘Upward Spiral’ model of teaching whereby the curriculum is repeated throughout the year and becomes progressively more challenging. Once children have proven that they can meet National Expectations, we give children the opportunity to lead their own learning and explore topics and subjects beyond the National Curriculum.