Physical Education (P.E)
To encourage our children to be active, understand the importance of exercise and enjoy all forms of physical activity.
At Mesty Croft Academy our Physical Education curriculum develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, a range of games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities. Physical education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable them to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
The aims for each child are:
- to enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and coordination;
- to encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations;
- to develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities;
- to increase children’s ability to use what they have learnt to improve the quality and control of their performance;
- to teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise;
- to develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination; to develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success.
- to develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities.
- to be physically active for sustained periods of time.
- to engage in competitive sports and activities.
- to lead healthy and active lives.
Curriculum Organisation and Delivery
At Mesty Croft Academy, we follow the Complete P.E. scheme. The programme of study is broken down into the following topic strands – locomotion / athletics, ball skills / invasion games, gymnastics, dance, net and wall games and striking and fielding games. Skills and outcomes are progressive and build year on year. The Complete P.E. scheme includes long term, medium term and short term plans. Lessons are delivered mainly by a P.E. specialist teacher but the planning also allows sessions to be delivered by class teachers.